Monday, September 21, 2015

Making the Best of It

            Today brought a relaxing end to a busy weekend that could have been a lot worse. Looking back at it, it’s really hard to believe that – in spite of unexpected problems – Colleen and I took everything that happened in stride.

            Saturday was the day of the Royal Medieval Faire, one of the events we’ve been selling our chainmaille at since we started Ringcrafts. For me, it was a 16 hour work day, starting with a 5am alarm so we could get to the park in time to set up our tent, table and wares.

            The weather was looking rather iffy, and we fully expected it to be raining when we arrived. To our delight, it wasn’t (two years ago we had to set up in the rain – it was awful). In fact, the day was looking far better than we expected.

            Little did we know, the rain had adjusted its schedule to visit us later. The festival was going very well and was in full swing when the deluge hit. The rain poured down. Luckily, our tent held out – as it has in the rain before – with only one spot dripping inside. Thankfully not on top of anything (or anyone – since people came in to get out of the rain). The bad weather didn’t last too long and we were able to relax a stop fretting about how long the tent could withstand the onslaught.

            Next came the wind. Not too bad, at first, but getting worse. It got to a point where we had to take down parts of our display that kept blowing over. It was frustrating, but that’s just part of outdoor shows (one of the reasons we do so few of them). Besides, it was close to the end of the day.

            Then came the clean-up. We’re fairly efficient at packing up usually, but being outside always throws in snags to slow us down. Firstly, there’s taking down the tent added to everything else and this time around it was a disheartening task – because of when the rain came, it was still wet, meaning we’d have to set up the tent again (soon) so it could dry out properly. Next, there was the wind that started blowing over displays the moment the chainmaille wasn’t weighing it down. Then we had our newest problem – the wind flipped our tent right over, breaking one of its joints.

            Well, there wasn’t anything we could do about it, so we just kept packing up – although it slowed us down even more. It ended up being a day where we the first to arrive to set up and the last to leave. Still, it could have been worse. We could have had to set up in the rain and had it falling and windy all day. The tent could have flipped during the festival instead of after. The day’s sales were good, in spite of the weather, and we even traded some products with another vendor.

            So, we went home in high spirits without fretting about all the problems that had happened. After all, there was nothing we could do about them.

And today turned out to be a sunny day, so in spite of how tired and sore we were, we put up the tent first thing in the morning to dry – using a bandage to hold together the broken part. Then, since it just happened to be there and with the weather so nice, we decided to spend the afternoon just relaxing and hanging out in the tent with my sister-in-law, all of us working on various writing and art projects (there was also this orange fuzzy caterpillar climbing all over the tent that provided ample entertainment). It felt like a mini vacation.

            So, in spite of all the troubles, we went with the flow and everything turned out fine in the end. It makes me wonder why anyone ever bothers getting upset by anything. The past can’t be changed, after all, so all you can do is make the best of it.

Click here to find the charity anthology containing a couple of my short stories.

To see my chainmaille, click here.

If there's any subject you'd like to see me ramble on about, feel free to leave a comment asking me to do so.

No comments:

Post a comment