Monday, April 16, 2018

Lights Out

            This week’s blog is brought to you courtesy of a massive ice storm, although it may be coming late for the same reason. It’s really quite remarkable how, when the power goes out, everything in life just seems to... stop. There’re no lights, no heat, only battery-powered electronics which must be conserved, and no internet (unless there’s data around). However, there’s something else that vanishes, too: pressure.

            Our lives have become so reliant on technology that as soon as it’s no longer there, all those important things we have to constantly be doing no longer matter. Yes, there’s an element of anxiety about not being able to complete required tasks, but the power is gone – it’s out our hands; there’s nothing we can do about it, so it’s easy to push aside.

            We’re then left with our biggest problem: what do we do with ourselves? To me, it’s astonishing that it’s so hard to figure out what to do with myself when the power is gone, because I’m right in that age group that transitioned from very limited technology use to constantly being plugged in. I remember a time when I had far more free time, and yet I still managed to keep myself occupied, but somehow I now have no idea what to do when technology ceases to function.

            I think a big part of it is shock, because looking around I can find things I do fairly regularly that don’t require technology. Reading. Conversing. Board games. Drawing. The activities exist, but it’s a so much smaller pool of tasks that the brain is easily tricked into thinking there’s nothing to do.

            Yet, at the same time, there’s that element of reaction. Not only is there less we what to do, there’s less we’re able to do. Our technology has given us the ability to do lots of things very fast, sometimes many things at once. As we became used to this, it became an expectation not only that we could accomplish so much, but that we should.

            Then the power goes out, and everything slows down. Our attention is drawn to all the things in life that we take for granted. We have to remind ourselves of other ways of getting things done, and of other things we have to do.


            I’d be the last person to claim we need less technology in our lives, but at the same time I think it’s important to pause and remember that we don’t have to constantly be going so fast; that, in fact, without all our technology we wouldn’t be able to. What better time to reflect upon this than when the power vanishes and all the lights go out.





Check out my YouTube channel where I tell the stories of my D&D campaigns.

Click here to find the charity anthology containing a couple of my short stories.



Also, make sure you check out my wife's blog and her website.


If there's any subject you'd like to see me ramble on about, feel free to leave a comment asking me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment