Monday, May 16, 2016

Aliens and Abduction

            While I’ve always been open to the idea of other life in the universe (it’s such a big place, after all), I’ve also always been quite sceptical about the idea of said life abducting and experimenting on humans. Then I had a look at how humans treat the wildlife of the planet.

            Now, I’m not suddenly a believer in such things, but my scepticism has shifted from “That’s ridiculous, why would they do such a thing?” to “Well... we do it, why wouldn’t they?”

            Our biologists and other experts regularly traipse out into the wild. They will observe animals in their natural habitats and, sometimes, capture them. They will then do various medical examinations on the animals before releasing them. Sometimes, they’ll tag them or give them tracking collars – or implants.

            This all seems quite normal to us, but what must it be like from the animals’ perspective? Does a captured sloth, upon being returned to its family, saying (very slowly), “I swear! I was abducted by humans! They experimented on me and put in this implant.” The poor thing would, of course, be met with jeers. “Phaw! Humans don’t exist! Even if they did, they wouldn’t experiment on you.”

            So, I’ve come to conclude that, in the unlikely event that there is a species out there so advanced and so different from humans that they view us as wild animals, there is a possibility that they would abduct and experiment on humans.


            On the other hand, for a species to be so vastly different from humans that they need to study us to understand us, I wonder if we aren’t imposing upon these hypothetical beings more human nature than they would have.




Click here to find the charity anthology containing a couple of my short stories.



Also, make sure you check out my wife's blog and her life coaching website.


If there's any subject you'd like to see me ramble on about, feel free to leave a comment asking me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment