Monday, October 05, 2015

Wind and Electricity

            Autumn isn’t messing around this year, at least not where I live. We had mostly nice weather and then WHAM! October first, the temperature dropped and the wind picked up. It’s not often the weather actually does what we’d expect it to do based on the calendar.

            Of course with such high winds there’s one thing you have to expect if you live out in the country like we do: power failure. The power was out for around three hours. It was during this time that I noticed (as I always do when such things happen) just how much we rely on electricity these days. The power goes out and we sort of flounder. I mean, what can you even do without electricity?

            Almost everything I do, in one way or another, relies on electricity. Even when the power goes out, what I find to do still uses electronics. I write on my laptop, read on my Kindle. I listen to music or play games on various devices. Sure, I have other options – board games, books, making chainmaille and such, yet even with those there’s an element of electricity to provide enough light or get background music.

            To think that electricity didn’t even exist (well, hadn’t been discovered) a few hundred years ago is astounding. A handful of generations later and our lives fall apart without it.

            It really makes you stop and think about the new technology we have coming out now and how long it will be before future generations are completely dependent on it.


            How long after that will all of what we know be gone?





Click here to find the charity anthology containing a couple of my short stories.





If there's any subject you'd like to see me ramble on about, feel free to leave a comment asking me to do so.

1 comment: