Monday, August 31, 2015

Self-Restrictions (Or the overused "Let It Go")

            There comes a time for every writer when they learn how to let go. Sometimes it’s ideas we need to let go of, or characters, other times it’s habits. But we writers tend to be sentimental and it’s hard to let go of ideas we’ve clung to for a long time.

            For me, this time came when I started to take a good hard look at my fantasy world, wondering what made it stand apart from others. There’s really quite a lot that makes it unique, but all the key surface elements are familiar. I have humans, elves, dwarves, goblins – and they’re all about what you’d expect them to be, with a few twists of my own added in. Yet, on the surface, very familiar.

            There are three reasons for this: the first is that I started developing this world when I was twelve or so and, at that age, it’s really difficult to not borrow heavily from what you know. The second is that I wanted that familiarity there to help people acclimatise to my world. The third was because you have two choices when creating creatures in a fantasy world: go with the common ones, or make up new ones that serve the functions of the old ones (such as the Urgals in the Eragon series which take the place of goblin/orc creatures, as do the Trollocs in the Wheel of Time series where there are also Ogiers that function as a combination of elves and dwarves).

            So, have I decided to drastically change my writing to replace elves and dwarves? No, although I did strongly consider it. I realized that, if I eliminated them, I would just replace them with something else. I did, however, decide to personalize them more – make them more unique to my world.

All of this made me take a closer look at my world and what I’ve been clinging to. That’s when I discovered the biggest thing that was holding my writing back: my world. It’s too big. You’d think that a big world would offer more freedom for writing in, but that’s before you have to coordinate events across an entire globe with a timeline spanning hundreds or thousands of years. It’s a bit much for one mind to hold all at once.

            So, I’ve had to step back. Rather than forcing my stories to fit my world, I’m now allowing my world to for my stories. It has opened up endless possibilities and has made writing life much easier.


            That’s my latest tip to all you writers out there. Look to yourself and your own writing to figure out how you’re holding yourself back. Then push back your self-made restrictions and broaden your horizons.




Click here to find the charity anthology containing a couple of my short stories.






If there's any subject you'd like to see me ramble on about, feel free to leave a comment asking me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment