Monday, December 15, 2014

Twisty Plot Expectations and Predictions

            I have frequently frustrated my wife with the ability to predict plot twists that she never saw coming. Sometimes we’d be watching a TV show and I’d say “Oh, this person is going to use that piece of information they just got to their advantage later” and when she asked how I knew it, I’d say it was a momentary facial expression of the actor. In Frozen, I knew who the surprise villain was the moment he came on screen. When asked how, I was able to say that the situation was just far too convenient – plus (and this is the part Colleen hates the most) he happened to have the same sideburns as some villains in Tangled.

            There is far more to it than the subtle clues, though. Stories have arcs that they follow, there are certain patterns that are expected. If those patterns aren't followed, the story doesn't resonate with us as well – or the outcome is too obvious for the audience. Funnily enough, that's exactly what makes them easier to predict.

            Surprisingly, I couldn't put words to all of these patterns, but I do have an instinct for them. If I pointed to a specific one, I could tell you why it’s important to have. Other than that, I just “know” the route a story is supposed to take – a very useful talent for a writer.

            In fact, that very thing happened when Colleen and I went to see Big Hero 6 this week. Colleen and I pretty much had the theatre to ourselves (you know that thing Sheldon from Big Bang Theory does in theatres? She did that), so we happily whispered out plot predictions to each other. Who was it behind the mask? We each had a theory on the twist, but it wasn't until after we found out which of us was right that I put the thought into exactly why the one character was better than the other, specifically that the wrong option had too minor a role (sorry if I'm a bit vague – I'm trying to avoid spoilers. It was an excellent movie and the short at the beginning was amazing).

            So, you might wonder what enjoyment I can get out of stories if I can predict the outcome. Does it lessen my enjoyment that the plot twists don’t surprise me? Quite the opposite. For me, I thoroughly enjoy predicting the outcomes based on the evidence presented by the story teller. Foreshadowing is important in stories because, without it, there is no evidence to support the plot twist. As a result, I feel that if the creator of a story did a really good job, I should be able to predict the outcome.


            Now I just need to hone my skills so I can predict the future. After all, life is just a really long story, right?




Click here to find the charity anthology containing a couple of my short stories.






If there's any subject you'd like to see me ramble on about, feel free to leave a comment asking me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment