Monday, November 03, 2014

Halloween Costume Philosophy

            Halloween is an interesting concept for me these days. It pretty much passes by without me noticing it.

            When I was a kid, I loved Halloween, at least in concept. Dressing up in costumes was great and the candy was even better. The weather, on the other hand, was hit or miss. Sometimes it made the day more fun, while others it made me wonder why I liked Halloween so much.

            While there’s no denying the enjoyment of candy, I think that the greatest allure of Halloween is getting to dress up. Why? Because it’s fun for everyone! I think that’s why I don’t really notice the holiday any more, though. I mean, really, who only dresses up once a year?

            When I was in high school is when Halloween vanished for me, at around the same time as I started LARPing. Let’s face it – dressing up in a costume once a week trumps once a year. Even more so when sometimes we’d wear our costumes to school to promote our group.

            Now, with Ringcrafts going to conventions or renaissance festivals nearly every month, there are times when I look around me and wonder why people aren't in costumes.

            Or are they?

            Perhaps it’s the everyday clothes that people wear that are the true costumes. They are worn as an effort to fit in and to avoid offending social expectations.


            Could it be that Halloween is the one day of the year that people feel comfortable in taking off their costumes and letting their true selves show?





Click here to find the charity anthology containing a couple of my short stories.






If there's any subject you'd like to see me ramble on about, feel free to leave a comment asking me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment