Monday, December 10, 2018

Sleep Beckons

            You know, I often see posts bouncing around social media about how much people love to sleep. While I agree with the associated sentiment that it can be very challenging to get out of bed in the mornings, I must say that I’ve always found sleep itself to be a dreadfully dull, yet unfortunately necessary, waste of time.

            To function at optimal efficiency, the average human needs eight hours of sleep per day. That’s a full third of the day where we basically have to shut down and do nothing! From a young age, I always found that to be exceedingly frustrating. Think of how much more we could accomplish if we didn’t have to sleep!

            As to it being enjoyable, I recognize that everyone has different experiences in life, but how can it be so? It begins with lying down and doing nothing for a long enough period of time that your body goes into sleep mode – boring! This is followed by a period of unconsciousness accompanied by dreams – which can range from amazing to horrible, but also most of which end up not getting remembered once you wake up. To be fair, dreams can sometimes be enjoyable, but it’s erratic and inconsistent enough that it can’t really be used to define sleep as enjoyable. Then, after that, you wake up and have to get up – which, as has already been mentioned, can be quite the struggle.

            So, how is it that sleep can be defined as enjoyable? It eats up time that could better be used elsewhere, only erratically contains entertainment, and is otherwise a whole lot of nothing. This really is quite the puzzler for me.


            Sadly, I don’t have the time to figure it out – as I must now go to sleep.





Check out my YouTube channel where I tell the stories of my D&D campaigns.

Click here to find the charity anthology containing a couple of my short stories.



Also, make sure you check out my wife's blog and her website.


If there's any subject you'd like to see me ramble on about, feel free to leave a comment asking me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment