Monday, March 12, 2018

Blurring the Lines

            Last week showed gave me one of the greatest experiences I‘ve had to date while playing Dungeons & Dragons – and, believe me, I’ve had a lot of great things come out of that game. Those who’ve played D&D know that, every now and then, there are moments that are... indescribable. But that doesn’t mean I won’t try to describe them anyway. These moments happen when the players are so invested in what’s happening in the game that they almost forget that they’re playing a game. It almost seems like reality blends over into the game world.

            Most often, these times come in situations that bring up strong emotions for the characters – sometimes it’s when the characters are bonding; sharing tales of their past and feeling vulnerable. Sometimes it’s when they are discussing what they want to do next and they have very hard decisions to make. Sometimes it’s when one of the characters has died – and it feels like an actual friend has been lost.

            This week, I presented the players in my game with a decision that would shape the future of the world they’re playing in – and I was careful to make the decision as challenging as possible. You can read a more detailed account of the game over here, but for the purposes of this blog I’m just going to outline the scenario.

            The players have helped found a settlement in a new land that seems to be bereft of civilization. They have been working hard to establish the place and keep it safe. In this game session, they woke up one morning to discover that the settlement’s first baby was being born, to someone they had known for a long time and was very close friends with one of the characters. The child was born, but he was a tiefling (a demonic form of humanoid that is generally mistrusted by society) – which might not have been a problem if his mother hadn’t been a human. A mob arose, crying “demon worship” and “witch” and wanting to slay the mother and child.

            The player characters were on hand to diffuse the situation, but it was a bit much for them alone. They had to get the help of a known racist (racism in D&D tends towards species, rather than skin color) who had a great deal of influence. He managed to disperse the crowd with a promise that the council (which the players are part of) would solve the problem. Then, at the council, he proposed the idea of segregating the settlement into districts based on race.

            As you can guess, the players (most of which have characters of minority races) were not too happy about this, but the council put it to a vote, with each council member voicing their opinion. Now, as the Dungeon Master of the game, I had to put a lot of work into this situation. I wanted the players to have a direct influence on the outcome of this vote, so the majority of the rest of the council had to vote in favor of the segregation – which meant I had to come up with a lot of very convincing reasons for it; a challenge for someone who is actually opposed.

            In the end, the scenario was designed so that, in order to avoid segregation, the players had to all vote against it – plus, on top of that, they had to convince the final voter, who would break the tie. Now, here’s what happened:

            After hearing the arguments of the rest of the council, one of the players was actually swinging towards voting for segregation (a very rewarding situation for me, on its own, because it meant that the arguments I came up with were believable and convincing). The other five wouldn’t even consider it. One by one, they each gave an impassioned speech against racial segregation; about why this plan would fail and backfire. They didn’t just say “my character gives a speech”, they actually made the speeches themselves. Each and every one of them was incredible – so much so that I wish I’d recorded the session so I could share their words. They were so well thought-out and convincing that they convinced they brought the final member of their party back to their side of the argument.

            And they easily convinced the swing vote (and even some of opposing votes) that they were correct, successfully preventing the entire settlement from going down a very dark path.

            The amazing part is how connected they were to the whole scenario, and that even I – the man behind the curtain who knows how everything works and pulls all the strings – was drawn into that psudo-reality where the story we were telling became something more than just a story. That’s very hard to achieve from the DM’s omnipotent position.

            Those are the rare and glorious moments that make D&D more than just a game – it briefly transforms into something magical shared by a group of people. I wish they happened more frequently, but then, I suppose they wouldn’t be as special then.


            Still, if you ever wondered why people play something like D&D, this is partially why. It’s also why you should try it out, too.




Check out my YouTube channel where I tell the stories of my D&D campaigns.

Click here to find the charity anthology containing a couple of my short stories.




Also, make sure you check out my wife's blog and her website.


If there's any subject you'd like to see me ramble on about, feel free to leave a comment asking me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment