Monday, February 26, 2018

Spoiler Free Black Panther Review

            So, I just got back from watching Black Panther and I’ve got to say I was blown away – and I don’t say that much. While I do enjoy the Marvel series, they often lack the deeper meanings and plots I most enjoy – not so this time.

            Since not everyone has seen it yet, I’ll keep this as spoiler free as possible. The plot, for the story lovers out there, was very enjoyable – the movie did a good job of keeping the audience guessing, with the perfect balance of foreshadowing. The jokes came at the right time, and none of them were overplayed.

            The characters were fantastic, with each and every one given a complex personality that drove their actions. I feel like I should say more than one sentence, but, honestly, that covers everything.

            However, what is truly great about this movie is the underlying messages – these are there throughout the story, yet they remain firmly in the subtext without preaching, exactly as they should. There was social commentary on sensitive subjects, yet they were presented so flawlessly that they came across as just another part of the entertainment. They even showed various perspectives, in a manner that made them all relatable.

            On the whole, the Marvel movies are action movies. While Black Panther did have that aspect to it, it didn’t take up nearly as much screen time as we’ve come to expect. Instead we were treated to a journey through myriad cultures, political struggles, and character growths that, while fictional, also have their roots in reality.


            If you haven’t seen this movie yet, you really should. Not only is it excellent entertainment; it’s a mind-opening experience.





Check out my YouTube channel where I tell the stories of my D&D campaigns.

Click here to find the charity anthology containing a couple of my short stories.



Also, make sure you check out my wife's blog and her website.


If there's any subject you'd like to see me ramble on about, feel free to leave a comment asking me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment