Monday, April 17, 2017

DM for a Cure

            Coming up on May 13th, I get to be part of a wonderful event. A twelve. Hour. Dungeons and Dragons. Marathon. That’s right: twelve hours straight of Dungeons and Dragons – and not just for the sake of doing it (although that’s a good enough reason), but to raise money for the fight against cystic fibrosis. It is going to be glorious (and exhausting).

            How did I get involved? Well, the DM of my weekly D&D game at my local board game cafe has a daughter with cystic fibrosis. He mentioned he was planning this event, along with the cafe, and was working on organising the DMs to get it to happen. Knowing that I’m terrible at fundraising (what do you mean, I have to leave the house and talk to people?), I immediately volunteered to be a DM.

            As I learned more about the event, I also discovered there were going to be prizes. Well, I thought, just about anyone interested in D&D will have an appreciation of chainmaille. So I donated some dice bags, a couple dragons, and an armoured teddy-bear. Meanwhile, Colleen signed up as a player and will be raising as much money as she can (the players get more in-game benefits the more they raise). We’re committed to doing our part to fight cystic fibrosis.

            At first I was a bit concerned about how much interest there would be in the event – I mean, it’s a long day, lots of fundraising, and not everyone can make the time for such things even if they are interested. We had four Dungeon Masters, which meant we had room for 24 players – that’s a lot of seats to fill. Then registration opened on April 5th. I needn’t have worried. By the time Colleen and arrived at the cafe for our weekly D&D (6:30pm), over half the spots were already filled. By the third day of registration, every seat was filled. Three days.


            Now I’m just getting more excited as the day grows closer. Not only will this be a fun game to run, but I’m eager to see how much money our efforts raise. And now, you can look forward to it, too, because it will give me a great story to share with you.





Click here to find the charity anthology containing a couple of my short stories.



Also, make sure you check out my wife's blog and her website.


If there's any subject you'd like to see me ramble on about, feel free to leave a comment asking me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment