Monday, April 21, 2014

Metaphorical Starbucks

            Once, a long time ago (back before we were married), my wife and I sat in a car debating whether or not she should go into Starbucks to purchase a particular beverage she desired. It wasn't the first time a debate such as this had occurred, but it turned out to be the last.

            It all came down to the money. We weren't in a particularly good financial position, especially because we were in the process of saving for our wedding and our future. That was the topic we’d been discussing prior to my wife’s imminent departure for Starbucks.

            After how much she’d been expressing that she desired the aforementioned beverage, I was very frustrated when she suddenly changed her mind and refused to get out of the car. She insisted that it was something she wanted, not needed, and therefore she should go without it. Since this was a method of money-handling I’d taught her, I could have left it at that – but I knew how much she wanted that drink, so I shared with her the following philosophy.

            Life is hard. Sometimes it’s downright miserable and nothing seems to go your way. You might be a hairsbreadth from being broke, but that doesn't mean you can just stop spending money on the little things that make you happy. Because, the truth of it is, life isn't worth living if you can’t find some enjoyment in it. Sure, a penny saved is a penny earned, but if you live your entire life like that, you end up miserable and sitting on a mountain of pennies, wondering why you bother with it all. On the other hand, you could go into Starbucks and spend some of those pennies on a drink that will cheer you up. In the long run, you won’t be as wealthy, but your life will be far richer.

            Now, whenever my wife and I use the word Starbucks, we’re very rarely referring to the coffee shop. Starbucks means all those little things in life that you don’t need to buy – perhaps it’s even a bad choice to spend the money – but they make life a little brighter and happier for a time.


            Happiness is worth far more than all the money in the world, so every now and then, treat yourself to some Starbucks (from wherever you choose) – your life will be richer for it.





Click here to find the charity anthology containing a couple of my short stories.





If there's any subject you'd like to see me ramble on about, feel free to leave a comment asking me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment